Get a Job in Hospitality - Do the best RSA Online in Australia (Now including NSW)

Your passport to fun, well paid jobs in hospitality!

Working in restaurants, bars and at catering events industry in Australia is one of the best ways to meet people, earn great money (high minimum wage) and get a job anywhere in Australia but FIRST you need to do some RSA training.

Know you need it? - Click here to do the best RSA we have done and recommend for NSW, QLD, WA, SA, NT and TAS.

VIC is only available through classroom training.

Before you start looking for job for most states it is mandatory that you have an Responsible Service of Alcohol certificate.

  In this page:

The Basics

Before applying to jobs in hospitality it is highly recommended you get an RSA certificate.

Employers invite applicants with RSA certificates to interviews over applicants who don't - so once you get it make sure you put it on your CV!


  1. It is cheap and easy, simply start here to get yours
  2. When you click the link above, choose the state where you seek work first 
  3. Complete course and get your certificate via email (For NSW you will get an interim certificate that lasts 3 months) 
  4. Put it on your CV/Resume before applying to jobs that involve the service of alcohol


To work in a position that involves the service of alcohol, a Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) course is required. Most RSA training is "nationally accredited"* except NSW and VIC which means you can work in many states in Australia. After completing a course you will receive an RSA certificate to put on your CV/resume and show future employers.

Courses are the same for bar staff, waiters, bottle shop attendants and anyone else working in licensed premises serving alcohol.

* Nationally Accredited: Each state has it's own liquor legislation and it's own RSA requirements particular to that State. Fortunatetely most states are nationally accredited which means you can work in multiple states after you have completed the training for one. The main exceptions are NSW and VIC which have their own training requirements.


Why do I need to complete a Responsible Service of Alcohol course?

In Australia, it is against the law to serve alcohol to an intoxicated or underaged person. If proven, there are severe penalties for both the employers and employees involved, especially in case of injury. This is why it is mandatory in most States for all staff who serve alcohol to complete one of the Responsible Service of Alcohol courses. For most states in Australia the course can be completed online except Victoria (Vic). 

For anyone in Australia serving Alcohol this is important because many employers will not consider hiring you without it.

Fortunately for Queensland, Western Australia, South Australia, Northern Territory and the Australian Capital Territory the online Responsible Service of Alcohol courses can be completed online in about 3 to 4 hours before you start looking for work. It takes about 6 hours to complete the New South Wales course.

Don't forget to put on your resume that you have an RSA certificate before applying to jobs!

New South Wales (NSW) now offering training online - see RSA Online NSW page.

We also have more information here for QLD training.

Complete your RSA course before you leave home

Most working holidaymakers travelling to Australia are unaware of the RSA rules and regulations until they arrive and apply for a job. Then they need to find out where they can enroll at a relevant training centre to complete the course and get their certificate. This can sometimes waste precious days and may mean you miss out on a good job opportunity.

There are hundreds of courses - some good some bad - some cheap some expensive - but we recommend the course mentioned on this page (we have done others)

Important Note - Doing The Right Course:

A "Nationally Accredited RSA Certificate" covers many states in Australia (including QLD, WA, SA, NT) but there are exceptions most importantly - VIC and NSW. If you think you might end up working in New South Wales (NSW) and Queensland (QLD) for example, you may need to get two certificates one that is "National Accredited" for Queensland and one that is "NSW Accredited". Decide where you are likely going to want to work first and just do the training for that State.

For more information - Reviews, tips and even answers to the hardest questions check out the best RSA online NSW, QLD, SA, NT and WA.

Victoria - Classroom Only

If you would like to work in Victoria you will need to do a course in person when you get to Victoria.

For more information about getting a Victorian RSA Certificate and a list of providers with a handy map (so you can see which training center is closest to you) - Check out the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation

How it works - completing the RSA course online

Once you purchase an RSA course you'll get a unique pin number and password sent by email. You can start the course immediately and resume whenever you want - the system remembers where you were. Once completed, a Certificate of Attainment is issued to you. The course takes approximately 4 to 6 hours in total to complete. You will then be able to choose if you want to receive the certificate by email in PDF format or by mail or both. Most people choose both, but the printable copy sent to your email address is fine for your future employers.

NSW Note: For NSW you will be issued with a temporary certificate valid for 90 days. In that time you need to go to Post Office in NSW and get your photo I.D. card. Click here for more details on doing online training for NSW.

Awesome for backpackers who want to keep their options open for all types of work in Australia: Look out for programmes specifically which include the RSA for Queensland, Nationally Accredited RSA (QLD, SA, WA, NT), RSG (Responsible service of gambling) and Hygiene for Food Handlers course (Save $70 compared with doing all the courses individually plus you know you have everything done. Make sure you put them all on your CV - It will show how serious you are at getting a job in hospitality). On the other hand if you just want to work in a service job the RSA certificate is often all you will need. In some cases you may need the other ones too but the RSA is by far the most common and will show that you are serious about getting work.

New South Wales 

How it works - Online

You can now complete the RSA course online for NSW.

The course takes about 6 hours to complete and costs about $120.

If you answer all questions correctly, you will receive your Interim RSA Certificate (valid for 90 days in NSW only) in PDF format within 24 hours.

How much does the RSA course cost?

NSW about $120 ($70 of this course goes directly to the NSW government). If you want to work in multiple states it is a good idea to consider doing a combined course.

Beware of the cheap ones. Many backpackers try to save a buck by choosing the cheap ones. In our experience this can often lead to second rate training and poor support. In addition to this, most courses require that you contact a trainer (a real live person) if you incorrectly answer a question twice. With cheaper courses you may be in for a long wait and be more likely to fail a question because the training is way less than awesome.

Go to top of pageGo to top


Keywords/Title: Industry: Specialisation:

Follow us on Twitter »